After 9 support tickets in 3 months, mostly related to stability problems with their servers, I'm no longer using Gazzin Networks as a hosting provider. Instead, I'm hosting the sites that I had there on a server that I have co-located in NC. The internet uplink may not be as large, but ironically the response time of the sites does seem a little better, and I'm comfortable enough with the stability of my own hardware that I don't feel that I have to check every morning to make sure the sites are still up and running.
As a result of that and some other recent events, I currently have 3 domains up for sale:
If you're interested in any of them, feel free to make me an offer via the above links.
The bulb in my bedside light, an old halogen desk lamp, decided to burn out the other night. I decided to make it the latest light being replaced with a CFL bulb (definite savings compared to a 100W halogen bulb), and the timing was good for that since GA has a tax holiday on energy efficient stuff this weekend.
One problem that I didn't expect to run into was that CFL bulbs and X10 appliance modules (one of which I use to put that light on a timer... helps wake me up in the mornings) combine to create some rather interesting problems. Most X10 modules of that type have a "feature" that senses if the power switch on the controlled device is flipped and turn themselves back on in response. It does that by sending low-current pulses to the controlled device when it's turned off, sensing any changes in the load with that, and those pulses can cause any low-wattage lights (say, 10W CFL bulbs) to flicker. When I noticed that, I could see myself never getting to sleep because of it.
There is an "official way" to prevent that, which is basically to put another load on the switched side of the module that would be parallel to what you were trying to control in the first place. Not only is that wasteful, but I'm generally not a fan of kludgey solutions when they can be avoided. Fortunately, for at least one of the modules I have here, there is a cleaner (if more involved) solution... open the module, cut a couple of connections inside it, and the "feature" that causes the flickering is disabled. I don't need that feature, as I have an X10 control panel next to the lamp, so it works out well.